SYMBOLISMThe following information is all based on my own thought process, using cited information to back my thoughts up! This is not officially connected with Snorlax in any way, but I thought it would be neat to tie in real world symbols to Snorlax.
NUMBER 143The number 143 itself may just be a one-hundred forty three after zero, but, there is some hidden meaning that I have found during my search about the significance of this number. Below are four different interpretations from the number 143, and my personal thought as to why it could connect with Snorlax.
- - - On Mister Rogers' Neighborhood: "Transformations," 143 is used to mean "I love you." 1 meaning I for one letter, 4 meaning Love for the four letters, and 3 meaning You for the three letters. This in itself may not directly tie to Snorlax, but I thought it was kind of cute that for a lot of people, 143 represents love. Maybe that's why I love Snorlax?!Citations By Bullet Points for Numerology 143 Symbolism
- - - One of the most famous ginkgo trees that is still standing is said to have been planted by Zhang Daoling, later called the "Heavenly Teacher," who practiced the Oriental Arts of Spiritual Alchemy and Shamanism. On Mount Qingcheng, where he lived as a hermit, he turned his cave into a center of an organized religion in 143 A.D., with the tree at its side. This could fit with Snorlax because of the fact that Snorlax is always seen by itself, sleeping underneath a tree. Snorlax appreciates the natural world, and even though it eats all of it, it's digestive track replenishes nature. This kind of makes Snorlax almost like a spiritual, or natural, being like Zhang Daoling, and it also shows the significance of sleeping underneath the trees.
- - - The number 143 is said to represent the heart's desire position. This would mean that it represents a yearning never that has never been completely fulfilled. This may explain why Snorlax is often seen eating and sleeping his life away. Although it seems like it is just a lazy Pokemon, maybe it's hearts desire is truly yearning, but it's not sure what will help it become completely fulfilled. Instead, it just eats and eats and eats until it is forced to sleep from being too full.
- - - The most farfetched example that I have found has to do with the symbol up above to the left, Utah State Route 143. This road has also been designated as Utah's Patchwork Parkway as part of the National Forest Scenic Byway program. This highway goes through the Vermillion Cliffs, which reminds me of Vermilion City in Pokemon. Vermilion City just so happens to be where you can obtain a Snorlax in Pokemon Gold, Silver, & Crystal. Vermillion Cliffs is a designated Wilderness area since 1984, and protects the beautiful landscape and it's animals. This area is between Utah and Arizona, and an area that is also home to the black bear which has a tie to Snorlax (people believe Snorlax is actually a hibernating bear).
Number 143 - one / Virtuescience 143 - two / Affinity Numberology 143 - three / Utah State Route 143 - four
COLORS: BLUE & GRAYWhen I think about Snorlax, the two colors that come to mind are blue and gray. This is because Snorlax bodies are usually a combination of those colors (and sometimes a blue-green, but I am linking that in with blue here). I decided to look up the significance of these colors and see what it means. When Snorlax is suppose to represent a bear of some sort, there are no bears that look like that. Therefore, the color of it's fur must be significant in someway.
- - - Blue is considered beneficial to the mind and body. It slows human metabolism and produces a calming effect. Blue is strongly associated with tranquility and calmness. In heraldry, blue is used to symbolize piety and sincerity. Snorlax definitely has a slow metabolism because he doesn't burn off the calories he intakes (sorry but you're a lil chunky Snorlax)! Also, whenever he is eating a lot, he is super calm. He takes his time peacefully and enjoys himself through each bite. Blue is also said to suppress appetites because it has very few ties with food or smells, which might be a defense mechanism by Snorlax if he wants others to not feel hungry while he is eating. This allows him to eat in peace without the thought of another Pokemon coming to steal his food.Citations By Bullet Points for Color Symbolism
Key Words Relating to Blue: peace, calmness, honor, spirituality, dreams, love, comfort, meditation, protective.
- - - Gray color energy is thought to be at peace with itself. Like the wise crone or sage, it remains quietly in the background observing, detached, having no need to compete or prove anything. We see this in the anime episode The Garden of Eatin', Snorlax doesn't fight back with Ash and his gang because he is extremely detached and doesn't feel like he needs to fight. We see this as well when Pikachu uses thunderbolt on Snorlax and he barely feels a thing. From a color psychology perspective, gray is the color of compromise - being neither black nor white, it is the transition between two non-colors. The closer gray gets to black, the more dramatic and mysterious it becomes. The closer it gets to silver or white, the more illuminating and lively it becomes. Being both motionless and emotionless, gray is solid and stable, creating a sense of calm and composure, relief from a chaotic world. I think this is a great point because even though Snorlax has been known to cause chaos in the Pokemon World, it doesn't see the chaos because it is too calm and composed to even notice. Therefore, Snorlax is in a constant state of relief, unless disturbed, and fits gray perfectly.
Key Words Relating to Gray: solid, quiet, old age, durability, balance, self-reliance, impartial, indifferent, isolated.
Blue Color-Wheel-Pro - one / Meaning of Gray - two / Gray Psychology - two (again)
IS IT A FOOD COMA?When you think about someone who has eaten all they can handle (or over half their body weight int he case of Snorlax), and then passes out, what do you think of? I think about how my Thanksgiving used to be when I wanted to eat 10x more than my body could handle. I would then exclaim that I was in a food coma and take a nap. Is this what Snorlax is experiencing? Or, is he eating and sleeping a lot because he is experiencing A Typical Depression? Below is some information on both of those.
- - - A food coma, or scientifically known as Postprandial somnolence, is the common term used to describe the sensation of feeling sleepy or tired after eating. Scientifically, postprandial somnolence has two main components: a general state of low energy related to activation of the parasympathetic nervous system in response to mass in the gastrointestinal tract, and a specific state of sleepiness. Food comas are often caused when there are fluctuations in insulin, amount of alcohol drank, energy expense, and sleep patterns. Snorlax as we all know loves to eat, and it truly eats everything! It is even quoted in his Pokedex entry that he can eat Muk's poison and things off the ground. However, after it's belly is full "it becomes too lethargic to even lift a finger, so it is safe to bounce on its belly." So, we may be wondering, what are the symptoms of a food coma? A food coma is essentially your body telling you to stop moving so much so it can digest properly. As a result, the most pronounced and obvious symptoms are:Citations By Bullet Points for Food Coma & A Typical Depression
Sleepiness, lethargy, a sense of extreme fullness, and general mental fatigue or "fogginess."Since digestion has its inevitable byproducts, large-scale digestion like that seen in a food coma can potentially make you gassy or otherwise feel bloated.
While I personally believe that Snorlax is probably just putting himself in a food coma over and over again in an unbreakable cycle, some speculators on the web wonder if Snorlax is actually doing these things due to depression.
- - - While most types of depression make you to run away from eating or sleeping, this A Typical Depression is the one that makes you to sleep more and to eat more. But it further adds to you the hypersensitivity. This depression often makes people: eat and sleep more, run away from making decisions, concentrating on problems and even from moving physically. It is present in about 1/3rd cases of depression, despite it's name. One of the symptoms is increased appetite leading you to be overweight. It makes you feel more sleepy than normal and even sometimes makes it difficult for you to wake up Further, you may feel that your limbs are too much heavy that you cannot even move them.
A lot of these symptoms can be related to Snorlax. I guess the question truly is, is Snorlax eating and sleeping because that's it's natural niche in the Pokemon World? Or, is it overly eating and sleeping because it's depressed and lonely? I guess we may never know. However, I tend to side with the fact that Snorlax is happy and just putting himself in a food coma because hey, food tastes so good that sometimes we don't want to stop! He's also trying to eat as much as he can to feel full, and because of it's large size already, it needs a plethora of food to fuel it's appetite.
Food Coma - one / Postprandial Somnolence - one (again) / A Typical Depression - two